Tyson Fury reveals what he drank before fighting Deontay Wilder in 2018

Tyson Fury reveals what he drank before fighting Deontay Wilder in 2018

WBC champion Tyson Fury has revealed that he took a break from his preparations towards Deontay Wilder's fight in 2018 to have a beer.

The 31-year-old despite jumping into the title challenge was said to have been unfortunate not to be crowned winner at the end of the 12th round.

Fury added that he ended up having a dring and went to bed early and the following day, he had a very good fight.

The Briton revealed to WBC Talks: "When I was boxing Deontay Wilder in Los Angeles, 2018, it was the night before the fight.

"I had this urge to go downstairs and have a beer.

"So, I thought, 'You know what, I'm fighting for the heavyweight championship of the world, my body's telling me I want a beer, I'm gonna go downstairs and have one.'

"I called up my buddy who organises things for me - Tim.

"I said, 'Tim, meet me downstairs in five minutes at the bar.'

"He said, 'What?' "I said, 'Tim, meet me downstairs in five minutes.'

"I go downstairs and I get two beers, one for me, one for my buddy, Tim. he told Talk Sport.

"He said, 'What are you doing, you're fighting for the heavyweight championship of the world tomorrow night.'

"I was like, 'Listen, the old-time greats, they used to have brandies and used to get absolutely sackless drunk before championship fights.'

"So I thought, 'If I can't have a beer, I'll be right.'

"I ended up having a beer, I felt good, went to bed, got an early night.

"And I felt great the next day and I put up a good fight."

When they met 14 months later in the rematch, a fully match-fit and fully sober Fury knocked Wilder out within seven rounds.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...