Gernot Rohr finally responds to NFF's new targets for Super Eagles days after signing new deal

Gernot Rohr finally responds to NFF's new targets for Super Eagles days after signing new deal

Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr seems unfazed with the terms of his new contract with the Nigeria Football Federation.

The German-born tactician signed another two year deal with the country's senior national team until after the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

According to the NFF, Rohr has been charged to win the next Africa Cup of Nations title - a step up from their third-place finish at the 2019 edition of the championship.

"Before the 2018 World Cup, the NFF president (Amaju Pinnick) said we have to win the World Cup," Rohr told Colin Udoh in a live Instagram chat on Saturday.

"It's easy to speak. We love him, he's very ambitious, we are all ambitious as well, but we have to be realistic as well and have to be in great humility.

That has always been my philosophy. He continued: "We are No. 3 in Africa and No. 40 in the world now.

There's progress with the young team, so of course, when you win bronze, you want to do better.

It's good to have ambition but you can lose games.

"When I arrived in 2016, I was saddled with the task of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup and the 2019 AFCON, which we did, so, I'm not afraid now, as I'm very optimistic we will go to the next AFCON and the World Cup in Qatar."

On the issue of convincing players to play for the team, the coach insists he will not beg anyone to play for him, adding that the decision comes from the player's inner mind.

"Firstly, I want to tell you that I will never beg any player to play for the Eagles," Rohr added.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...