Sad day for Arsenal fans as club legend leaves after spending 15 years with the EPL team

Sad day for Arsenal fans as club legend leaves after spending 15 years with the EPL team

Arsenal have confirmed the retirement of club chairman Sir Chips Keswick. Keswick is set to leave his role at the end of the currently suspended 2019/20 season.

The 80-year-old has been sitting in Gunners' board for close to 15 years now, having joined in 2005.

He was handed the chairmanship role in 2012 when legendary tactician Arsene Wenger was still manager at the Emirates.

"It has been an honour to be the chairman of this great football club," Keswick said in an official statement on Arsenal's website.

"Arsenal has always held a special place in my life and that will remain the case in the future.

I made my plan to retire at the end of this season clear to the board, before the global health crisis we are now experiencing," he continued.

However, Metro UK reports the north London club has decided against appointing Keswick's successor.

As such, the board will now be comprised of just four members including owners, the Kroenkes.

Both Stan Kroenke and Josh Kroenke have since sent Keswick a message of goodwill, thanking him for his service to the club during his stay.

"We would like to express our immense gratitude for everything Sir Chips has done for Arsenal Football Club as a board member and chairman of the board over the past 15 years," the Kroenkes said.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...