Arsene Wenger finally opens up on possibility of returning to Arsenal 2 years after stepping down

Arsene Wenger finally opens up on possibility of returning to Arsenal 2 years after stepping down

Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed that he has no intention of returning to the Emirates Stadium on any capacity.

The Frenchman stepped down from his position as the Gunners head coach in the summer of 2018 after managing them for 22 solid seasons.

He won three Premier League titles during his reign at the club and the most profound was the one he lifted without losing a single match all through the campaign.

And the 70-year-old has expressed delight that Liverpool could not match the incredible feat achieved at the end of the 2003-04 season.

After stepping down, Wenger indicated intentions to return to football management in top European leagues but that did not happen.

Instead, he landed a role with the world football governing body as FIFA's head of global football development.

Wenger told beIN SPORTS: "Would I return to the Emirates Stadium? I always said to myself that I would be leaving Arsenal completely. That's the decision I made."

The Frenchman said he does not plan to return to the stadium even as a spectator despite various positions considered for Wenger, but none will be filled at Arsenal.

Goal.com reports that the North Londoners have concluded plans to build a statue for their legendary boss outside their home ground.

On that recognition of his achievements, Wenger said: "I managed the club for 1,235 games, I've had good and bad times there, but we always tried to defend the club's values. And I think we managed to do it."

Having won the Premier League title unbeaten in the 2003-04 campaign, Wenger heaved a sigh of relief after Watford handed Liverpool their first Premier League defeat in a game that ended in a 3-0 defeat for the Reds in February.

"Yes, it was a form of satisfaction [to see Liverpool lose]," Wenger said.

"We always like to be the only ones to achieve something. They (Liverpool) could really go all the way. But it shows that it's difficult to repeat this feat. Anyway, that day, I had a lot of messages from Arsenal supporters."

The 70-year-old added: "FIFA has responsibility for 211 federations and the big problem is being efficient. I'm not saying I'm not missing a competition, but I'm trying to be efficient in this area."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...