Super Eagles star Ahmed Musa ignores Kanu, Amokachi, names Nigeria's greatest player of all-time

Super Eagles star Ahmed Musa ignores Kanu, Amokachi, names Nigeria's greatest player of all-time

Super Eagles captain Ahmed Musa has disclosed that former team skipper Austin Jay Jay Okocha is Nigeria's greatest player of all-time.

Musa who is observing the lockdown back home in Jos, Plateau state capital, disclosed this during an exclusive Instagram chat with Legit.ng on Thursday, May 21, 2020.

Okocha who possesses extra-ordinary skills had a 14-year glorious career in the colours of Nigeria between 1993 and 2006 scoring 14 goals in 73 appearances.

Although he never won the CAF Africa Footballer of the year award, Okocha was the best player at the 2004 Africa Cup of Nations.

He was also tied with four others who scored four goals each as highest goal scorers of that tournament.

The former Fenerbahce and PSG midfielder narrowly missed out on the CAF Africa Player of the Year Award in 1998 having controversially lost to Morocco's El Mustapha Hadji.

Due to his skill, the former Super Eagles captain was described as being 'so good that they named him twice' - a line immortalised in a terrace chant while he played for Bolton Wanderers.

When asked who the greatest Super Eagles player was, Ahmed Musa smiled to what seemed like a tough question.

"Ah... I will go for Jay Jay Okocha," Musa told Legit.ng.

"I never had the opportunity to play with him during his time in the national team.

But I played against him during the Joseph Yobo testimonial in Port Harcourt.

"I really enjoyed him despite the fact that he was not playing active football.

But that day, I enjoyed watching him. I really wished he is still playing."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...