Super Eagles legend Taribo West names 1 Gernot Rohr's player who is too weak to play for Nigeria

Super Eagles legend Taribo West names 1 Gernot Rohr's player who is too weak to play for Nigeria

Former Nigerian defender Taribo West believes Rangers star Joe Aribo might be too fragile to play for the Super Eagles.

The 23-year-old made his debut for the three-time African champions in September 2019 after deciding to represent the country at the senior level.

He made a scoring debut for Gernot Rohr's side in their 2-2 draw against Ukraine during an international friendly at the Dnipro-Arena, Dnipro last year.

On his return to national team assignment one month after, the midfielder scored his second goal in his second appearances for the West African team against Brazil in their 1-1 draw at the National Stadium in Singapore.

Regardless of his performances in is first few matches for the Eagles, the former Inter Milan star believes Aribo is yet to adapt to African football.

"I've watched Joe Aribo play for Nigeria, but in my view, it's clear he is yet to come to terms with it," Taribo was quoted by dailyrecord.co.uk.

"There's no other way of putting this - I think Joe is not a bad player, but he needs time to adjust to African football. It's not the same as playing in Europe."

Taribo added that Oghenekaro Etebo is a better player in that position at the moment owing to his qualities and experience in African football.

"In Africa, there's no time on the ball and for me, Oghenekaro Etebo is a far better option, He's quick, physical and reads the game.

"He should get Joe Aribo's spot when he comes back. "African football is just too physical for Joe."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...