Football legend Samuel Eto'o reveals the only thing Mourinho and Guardiola have in common

Football legend Samuel Eto'o reveals the only thing Mourinho and Guardiola have in common

Cameroon legend Samuel Eto'o is one of the few players who played for both Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola during his football career.

His reign under both managers saw him lift the UEFA Champions League title with Barcelona and Inter Milan in the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons.

The 39-year-old has now highlighted the only similarity between the two tacticians which has kept them at the summit of their game.

Eto'o revealed that they are a different kind of people with varying football ideologies but insisted that the only thing common with them is their desire to win.

He told Italian outlet Gazzetta dello Sport : "The only common point these two coaches have is the desire to win. "They are completely different personalities and have a different vision of football."

Eto'o didn't mince words when he launched an attack on the Spaniard after playing his last game for Qatar Sports Club last year.

He said: "I can't compare Mourinho to Guardiola, one of them couldn't win the Champions League with Bayern Munich and the other one did it with Porto.

"Pep had lived all his life in Barcelona but during the years I was there, he didn't understand the squad. He didn't live the life of our group.

"I told Guardiola, 'you will apologise to me because it's me who will make Barca win, not Lionel Messi'. That was the situation at that time. Messi would later emerge, but you could ask Xavi, Andres Iniesta, and the others, that was my era."

Having won the African Footballer of the Year award four times, Eto'o considers himself to be the clear choice as the best African player of all-time.

Only Yaya Toure has a better record of the prestigious award after winning the prize four consecutive times.

He said: "Even if my brother Diouf the last time, with extra glass, got a little lost, there is no debate. None of them can come and say that they were at my level or better.

"And it's not the fact that I say it, it's a fact, it's something that is there. I wanted to be number one and I have been throughout my career."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...