Real Madrid star Karim Benzema lauds himself as a 'Formula 1 car' and takes huge swipe at 'go-kart' Olivier Giroud

Karim Benzema has taken a huge swipe at Chelsea forward Olivier Giroud, who the Real Madrid ace used to play alongside while representing France.

Los Blancos striker Benzema has not played for Les Bleus since October 2015 after he was accused of blackmailing teammate Mathieu Valbuena.

Real Madrid star Karim Benzema lauds himself as a 'Formula 1 car' and takes huge swipe at 'go-kart' Olivier Giroud

Olivier Giroud (left) and Karim Benzema (right) used to be France teammates

Giroud has filled the void in his absence and earned plaudits as he helped France lift the World Cup in 2018.

The 33-year-old continues to be Didier Deschamps' first-choice striker despite his limited game time at Chelsea over the past season.

During an Instagram Live Story, Benzema told French actor and comedian Thomas N'Gijol: "You can't confuse an F1 car with a go-kart and I'm being kind.

"I know I'm a Formula 1 car

"It works because he's there, that's it. It's not going to be spectacular.

"[Antoine] Griezmann and [Kylian] Mbappe get seen more while he rolls his sleeves up and does the dirty work. But does everyone like his game? I don't know."

Giroud has been overlooked by Chelsea boss Frank Lampard for most of the season due to the emergence of Tammy Abraham.

Meanwhile, Benzema has scored 14 goals and registered six assists in 26 LaLiga games for Zinedine Zidane's side.

He is Real Madrid's sixth all-time leading scorer with 241 goals and is just one behind Ferenc Puskas.

Last November, France Football Federation president Noel le Graet ended any hopes of a recall for Benzema.

He said: "For me, Benzema is a very good player. I have never criticised his qualities.

"On the contrary, he is proving again this year at Madrid that he is one of the best players in his position. But the adventure with France is over."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...