EPL: Man Utd signed Ighalo instead of me - Rondon

EPL: Man Utd signed Ighalo instead of me - Rondon

Dalian Professional striker, Salomon Rondon, has claimed he was close to joining Manchester United last month.

United were in the market for a frontman, after Marcus Rashford was ruled out for four months with a back problem.

Red Devils boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, also tried to bring in Josh King from Bournemouth, but eventually decided on Odion Ighalo.

Rondon says he waited for a phone call from his agent for an update on negotiations, before finding out about the Ighalo deal.

"They started to talk to my agent and I was just waiting by my phone for a decision, maybe for the lawyers, but then I saw Ighalo had signed.

"It didn't get to the stage where an offer was made or anything like that, but I think it was really close.

"It's decisions again and they obviously decided Ighalo was the best decision for them. I've played against him and I'm pleased for him," the 30-year-old told The Athletic.

Rondon previously played in England with Newcastle, where he scored 11 goals in 32 Premier League appearances.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...