Atletico Madrid vs Liverpool: Klopp explains Mane's substitution, updates on Henderson's injury

Atletico Madrid vs Liverpool: Klopp explains Mane's substitution, updates on Henderson's injury

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, has explained why he substituted forward, Sadio Mane, during his side's Champions League 1-0 defeat against Atletico Madrid on Tuesday night at the Wanda Metropolitano.

He also provided the latest injury update on captain, Jordan Henderson, after the England international sustained a knock against Atletico Madrid.

Klopp's men were defeated at the Wanda Metropolitano after Saul Niguez scored the only goal of the encounter to give Diego Simeone's side an advantage ahead of the second-leg tie next month.

"I substituted Sadio Mane because he was targeted to get another yellow card after he received the first one," Klopp told BT Sport.

"He played very well in the first-half, and what Atletico Madrid players wanted was to make sure Mane got a yellow card, so it was a tactical decision."

Providing an update on Henderson's injury, Klopp added: "He sustained a hamstring injury which I hope was a precaution.

"I am a hundred percent sure but will have to wait and see."

Liverpool will now shift their attention to the Premier League, where they will take on West Ham United on Monday night at Anfield.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...