FA Cup: Arteta sends strong warning over Arsenal captaincy

FA Cup: Arteta sends strong warning over Arsenal captaincy

Arsenal head coach, Mikel Arteta, has said that the club must create stability when it comes to selecting their captain.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is the current skipper, after Unai Emery stripped Granit Xhaka of the armband last year, following his clash with fans in October.

Emery had initially created a five-man leadership group, which included Aubameyang and Xhaka along with Hector Bellerin, Alexandre Lacazette and Mesut Ozil.

A blind vote within the club saw Xhaka picked as captain at the start of the season, before Aubameyang was called on to step up.

"The more stability we can generate with our captain and the players we have in the squad, I think the more clarity we will have to transmit to the fans what we are trying to do.

"There are many factors, some we cannot control, but at the moment everything is ok and not the time for me to change things in place because I haven't seen real things to make the decisions.

"I have been at clubs that have four or five captains. It is more a leadership group than captains. At the end, it is one guy wearing the armband and after the team picks the leaders.

"The moment they pick the leaders is when someone talks if they listen or they are looking at the roof. That is when you see.

"The moment you start to see different groups, they have leaders in these groups, but they are not shared in the best common interests of the group and this is what I wanted to avoid.

"We have some leaders, some are more leaders on the pitch and some more outside the pitch. Some have the influence to players that is very necessary. We want to bring all together," Arteta told the media before their FA Cup clash against Leeds.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...