Transfer: Solskjaer speaks on Matic leaving Man United for new club

Transfer: Solskjaer speaks on Matic leaving Man United for new club

Manchester United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has categorically stated that midfielder, Nemanja Matic would not be leaving the club in this January's transfer window amid reports linking the 31-year-old with a move to join Jose Mourinho's Tottenham Hotspur.

Matic has recently been linked with a move to Tottenham this month.

The Serbia international has found himself out of the Red Devils' starting XI this season and has fallen out of favour under manager, Solskjaer.

The former Chelsea is now deemed surplus to requirements, at Old Trafford having dropped behind ScoMcTominay, Fred and Paul Pogba in Solskjaer's pecking order.

But Solskjaer has now insisted that Matic will stay at the club this window.

"Nemanja will stay," Solskjaer was quoted by Metro UK as saying ahead of Man United's FA Cup third-round clash with Wolves on Saturday evening.

"He's been working hard to get back in and now he's here and he's playing well.

"There's always a chance for [a new contract], of course there is. It's what you do on the pitch that is the decisive factor there.

"If someone drops out you have to be ready and take your opportunity and I think he's done okay."

Matic recently admitted he could leave Man United in this January's transfer window.

He said: "I don't know what to say. I have a contract for another six months, we'll see in January what's going to happen.

"Will I extend the contract or try to find something else?' United have some option to extend my contract, but we will see if the plans of the club match my plans.

"I couldn't say anything more because I don't really know either.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...