Former world's best player denies having romantic relationship with Man City boss Guardiola

Former world's best player denies having romantic relationship with Man City boss Guardiola

Luis Figo has denied claims that he was involved in a gay relationship with his former Barcelona teammate Pep Guardiola.

Figo and the Man City manager featured for La Blaugrana in the 90's were close pals and usually shared a room together.

The 2001 Ballon D'Or winner is married to Helen Svedin and have three children together as the couples met during Figo's spell with Barcelona.

Guardiola on the other hand, married is teenage lover Cristina Serra and they also have three children together.

But Portugal legend Figo has declared that the rumours of anything more between himself and Guardiola were all lies.

"Guardiola was a great friend.

"He helped me a lot. He was my roommate, but there was nothing. I like women," he told magazine ICON.

He was then asked why he thought no players in the Spanish top division have come out declare themselves as gay.

He replied: "Football is very cruel.

"You play every Sunday and you'd be criticised for that and not your performance.

"It will be for protection [that nobody has come out], not because of shame."

The 2002 Champions League winner with Real Madrid also talked about a cheeky comment about his wife made by former Barcelona team-mate Ronaldo.

The Brazilian legend was accused by Barca president of partying too hard like his friend Figo and Ronaldo jokingly replied: "If I had Figo's wife, I would stay home every night."

Figo said: "I already knew about that because he mentioned it in the dressing room.
"I know Ronnie and I have a lot of love for him."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...