Mikel Arteta sends stunning message to Arsenal fans after being named new manager

Mikel Arteta sends stunning message to Arsenal fans after being named new manager

Newly appointed Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has made it clear that he was given a clear message by Gunners' board for him to compete for honors at the Emirates stadium.

The 37-year-old Spaniard replaces Freddie Ljungberg who has been acting on interim capacity since Unai Emery was sacked at Arsenal.

Mikel Arteta spent three years at the Etihad stadium as an assistant coach where he won two Premier League titles with Pep Guardiola.

"This is a huge honour. Arsenal is one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"We need to be competing for the top trophies in the game and that's been made very clear to me in my discussions with Stan and Josh Kroenke, and the senior people from the club.

"We all know there is a lot of work to be done to achieve that but I am confident we'll do it. I'm realistic enough to know it won't happen overnight but the current squad has plenty of talent,'' Mikel Arteta explained.

Arsenal are currently occupying 10th position on the Premier League standings with 22 points after 17 games played this term.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...