Champions League: Charlie Nicholas predicts Chelsea vs Lille, Bayern vs Tottenham, Salzburg vs Liverpool, others

Champions League: Charlie Nicholas predicts Chelsea vs Lille, Bayern vs Tottenham, Salzburg vs Liverpool, others

Former Arsenal star, Charlie Nicholas, has predicted some of this midweek's UEFA Champions League fixtures.

Chelsea will take on Lille at Stamford Bridge following a 3-1 defeat to Everton in the Premier League last weekend.

Liverpool will tackle Red Bull Salzburg in an away Champions League fixture, while Bayern Munich will host Tottenham Hotspur.

Speaking with Sky Sports, Nicholas gave his prediction thus;
Chelsea vs Lille, "Chelsea just need a win really. I see this being a bit like the Liverpool match. 

You can end up forcing it and caught up in the emotions of it. I think the young heads will be OK though and I see Chelsea getting there, but I don't see this happening until later on in the contest."

Red Bull Salzburg vs Liverpool: "If Red Bull Salzburg win, Liverpool are out. They will go for it - we saw that at Anfield. Liverpool had a comfortable afternoon at the weekend against Bournemouth.

"Naby Keita played and scored, and Jurgen Klopp has freshened it up the best he can. A draw will be enough for them, but it will be a very nervous night for Liverpool nevertheless."

Dinamo Zagreb vs Manchester City: "I imagine Pep Guardiola will make a lot of changes. The job is done. He will still be quite angry at some of the players - they have looked uninspiring. Kevin De Bruyne is carrying them on his own at times, while John Stones was dealt with another injury.

"They should be more than good enough to win but I think Manchester City are having a reality check at the moment. Is this really the competition they have to win? The answer is yes. Take a score draw, get home and wait for the draw."

Bayern Munich vs Tottenham: "Why wouldn't Jose Mourinho fancy this one? He got the defence sorted a bit better against Burnley, but the attackers were great. They do this naturally. He just needs to pick who is on form, the likes of Dele Alli, Heung-Min Son and Harry Kane, and off they go.

"They were embarrassed by Bayern Munich last time and the Germans are through. They might want this, just in case they face off once again in the knockout stages, so they may want to humiliate them again.

"I think they will want to beat them and give them a nudge as to who is the bigger giant in Europe. Tottenham made the final last season so teams want to knock them down. Mourinho will fancy his side but he will make some changes."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...