Ballon d'Or 2019: Drogba pays 10-year 'debt' to Mbappe

Ballon d'Or 2019: Drogba pays 10-year 'debt' to Mbappe

Former Ivory Coast and Chelsea striker, Didier Drogba, has finally made good on his promise to have a photo with Kylian Mbappe, after refusing in 2009.

Mbappe, who was 10 years at the time, was present at Stamford Bridge for Chelsea's Champions League semi-final clash with Barcelona.

Drogba had promised to take a picture, but later refused, after becoming angered at the "disgraceful" refereeing during the match.

Chelsea saw four penalty appeals turned down by match official Tom Henning Ovrebo, but were still heading through to the final, until Andres Iniesta's late strike saw them eliminated on away goals.

Mbappe attended this year's Ballon D'Or awards on Monday, where Drogba presented him a trophy for coming sixth in the overall rankings.

While on stage, Drogba said: "10 years ago after Chelsea vs Barcelona, a child came to me and wanted to take a picture.

"That day I said no because of the disgraceful refereeing decisions. I learned that the child was Kylian Mbappé. I want to pay my debt now."

Drogba then asked all the guests to stand up as he took a selfie of him posing with Mbappe, and fellow presenter and TV host Sandy Heribert.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...