Europa League: What Solskjaer said after Man Utd qualified for knockout stages

Europa League: What Solskjaer said after Man Utd qualified for knockout stages

Manchester United manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has urged his side to stick to an attacking "template", following their 3-0 win over Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League on Thursday.

Mason Greenwood, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford were all on target, as United booked their place in the knockout stages.

Solskjaer hopes his team can put up some impressive performances more regularly, but accepts it will not always be this easy.

"This is a little bit of a template on how we want to play.

"We needed a win but we needed a performance in which the boys wanted to go forward. We could have had loads more tonight, but it was a pleasing performance.

"You expect to win at home against teams like this, no disrespect by Partizan. We should have buried it in the first 10 minutes really. Going into half time with a 2-0 lead, you're confident.

"It was pleasing for me. We needed the second and third goals because too many times we're 1-0 up and haven't done that.

"But these boys are learning and tonight will give them loads of pointers of how we play when we're performing well. The opposition is not the same as Premier League but they are still good principles.

"That was the reason we played the three up front. I was very pleased with the finishes, all three were high class.

"Mason showed great composure, the keeper goes early and changes his mind. Anthony's is probably the skill of the night and I'm very pleased Marcus scored with his left foot because he'll need more goals with his left so he can go inside and outside," Solskjaer told BT Sport.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...