EPL: What Lampard said about Tammy Abraham after 4-1 win at Southampton

EPL: What Lampard said about Tammy Abraham after 4-1 win at Southampton

Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard, has paid tribute to Tammy Abraham, after the striker followed up his England call-up, by scoring his eighth Premier League goal of the season in their 4-1 win over Southampton on Sunday.

Abraham had also netted in the Champions League win over Lille on Wednesday.

His goal at St Marys, helped Chelsea on their way to a comfortable victory, which moved them up to fifth in the Premier League table.

"You talk about when people are in good form, things happen for them or they generally have moments.

"For me, that comes from how Tammy has handled himself all season from the early moments of pre-season and the start of the season when people were questioning him in different ways.

"It's the work ethic behind the scenes that gets him in such good nick. He's not just an incredible handful for defenders - he's running them, he's holding the ball up, he's controlling it, he's got good feet - he's also getting his goals, which is brilliant for him.

"I trusted in Tammy at the start of the season. I felt it was his time to come back to Chelsea. I know people will talk about the circumstances [of the transfer ban], but he also has Olivier Giroud, who's a World Cup winner, and also [Michy] Batshuayi who's a top-class Premier League striker in my opinion as well.

"He's made the position his own in the short-term now. He has to keep that going because competition is key and over the course of the season we'll need everybody.

"But he has deserved the great week he has had. He has deserved the great start to the season he has had and I will keep on him, because I want more," Lampard said in his post-match press conference.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...