Champions League: Owen, Nicholas predict Lille vs Chelsea, Liverpool vs Red Bull

Champions League: Owen, Nicholas predict Lille vs Chelsea, Liverpool vs Red Bull

Former Liverpool striker, Michael Owen, has tipped Lille to play a draw against Chelsea in tonight's UEFA Champions League fixture at Stade Pierre Mauroy.

He also predicted Liverpool to beat Red Bull Salzburg in today's Champions League at Anfield.

Writing in his column for BetVictor, Owen said: "Lille have not won in their last nine home games in European competition and both they and Chelsea lost their opening group game without scoring.

"Both sides will be looking to kick-start their Champions League campaign, but I feel they will have to settle for a point apiece in northern France."

Commenting on the Liverpool vs Red Bull, Owen said: "Liverpool maintained their perfect domestic record at Bramall Lane at the weekend but, having lost at Napoli on Matchday One, the holders need to beat Salzburg at Anfield to get their Champions League defence back on track.

"The Reds are unbeaten in their last 22 home European ties and have not conceded in the last five of those games.

"The Austrians can score goals and put six past Genk on Matchday One, but I hope to see another successful European Anfield night for Jurgen Klopp's side."

Meanwhile, former Arsenal star, Charlie Nicholas, has backed Frank Lampard's Chelsea to earn a point at Lille in their Champions League fixture at Stade Pierre Mauroy on Wednesday night.

He also predicted Liverpool to beat Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League at Anfield tonight.

"This is a very awkward tie," Nicholas told Sky Sports.

"I am trying to work out how Frank Lampard goes about this. When is the right time to put all of these youngsters in together? If he can use them, he would much prefer to use them at home.

"After being on a high, you do not want to flip the switch and raise question marks.

"He will go with a solid base I think for that reason. Lille drew 1-1 away at Nice at the weekend and are sitting pretty comfortable in fourth, so this is a test for Chelsea. I think they may get something from this, but it will be a more experienced Chelsea side that we see."

Speaking on Liverpool vs Red Bull, Nicholas said: "I remember Red Bull Salzburg from them playing Celtic a few years back.

"There was a lot going on with the brand and funding - they had to be building for a few years. They are going to one of the grounds with the best atmosphere in Europe on Champions League nights. Liverpool are getting the job done at the moment.

"If I were Jurgen Klopp I would change a couple of things. Joe Gomez could come in and James Milner may get a start. Adam Lallana could get an opportunity, too. It will be a very comfortable night, regardless."

The kick-off time for all the matches is 8pm.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...