Gary Neville snubs Chelsea's Kante, others, names world best defensive midfielder

Gary Neville snubs Chelsea's Kante, others, names world best defensive midfielder

Former Manchester United captain, Gary Neville, has identified Liverpool star, Fabinho as world best defensive midfielder ahead of Chelsea's N'Golo Kante and Barcelona's Sergio Busquets.

According to him, the Brazilian is currently the best player at the position because he goes forward with his passes and comes back to win the ball.

"You talk about England, World Cups, European Championships and Premier League, Fabinho is absolutely sensational on the ball, Busquets is unbelievable on the ball," Neville told Sky Sports.

"I think Fabinho at the moment is the best. Because what Fabinho does actually, he doesn't sit back in games.

"These holding midfield players who just play horizontally, passing sideways, shuttling across, but Fabinho plays vertically as well.

"He goes forward with his passes, he moves forward and steps in and wins the ball back. I think the best holding midfield players aren't just people who basically shuffle across and make it look simple, they also step into the game."

"It's the ability to know where you are with your back to play. I played the odd game in midfield and it was awful, even when I was full-back and I ended up in midfield just out of position sometimes and someone plays a pass into you, you think, "Oh, what's behind me?"

"The great players they know what's over their shoulder, they receive it on the half-turn, they take the ball to the right side when there's a player coming from the other side."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...