Messi reveals why he hasn't mingled with Griezmann yet, sends strong warning to Dembele

Messi reveals why he hasn't mingled with Griezmann yet, sends strong warning to Dembele

Barcelona captain, Lionel Messi, has admitted he has had little contact with Antoine Griezmann, since the Frenchman arrived at Barcelona.

In an interview with Sport, Messi also warned another team-mate, Ousmane Dembele, to be "more professional" in the 2019/2020 season.

Griezmann joined fellow countrymen Dembele and Samuel Umtiti in Catalunya this summer.

It is rumoured that a few members of the Barca squad were opposed to the 28-year-old being signed from Atletico Madrid, preferring to have Neymar back.

Messi, who also wanted Neymar's return, has now revealed he is not fully acquainted with Griezmann yet.

When asked if he has spent much time with Griezmann, he replied: "Very little to be honest.

"Since I returned, I've been injured and training on my own. I'm not really in the group.

"They went on the tour and when they came back we saw each other a little in the dressing room. But I've not been there in the training sessions. We'll have the opportunity to share many things."

On Dembele, who has seen his attitude questioned in the past, Messi added: "I believe he's an impressive talent who can do whatever he wants. He is very young and I think this year will be very important for him to make the step up that the whole of the Barcelona fan base wants to see.

"He needs to make that change to be more professional, to put that idea into his head, so he can be a success at Barcelona like he wants to be. I hope he doesn't have the bad luck he's had with injuries.

"Last year, when we needed him the most, he was injured. Hopefully that doesn't happen this year and he's able to show everything he has, which is a lot. As a player, he's very impressive."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...