EPL: What Lampard said about Nigerian defender after Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Sheffield United

EPL: What Lampard said about Nigerian defender after Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Sheffield United

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has said that Nigerian-born defender, Fikayo Tomori was deserving of his first start for the club.

The 21-year-old was named in Chelsea's team for the 2-2 draw against Sheffield United on Saturday.

Lampard is a huge admirer of the England Under-21 international, having had him on loan at Derby last season.t

"I hink Tomori played very well for me last year and is training at a very high level, Lampard told reporters after the game.

"There is competition at centre-back, he deserved to play and I thought he played well. It was just a choice."

Chelsea have conceded nine goals in their opening four games, including four to teams promoted from the Championship, which leaves Lampard looking for defensive solutions.

"No, I wouldn't say I was worried about it," he added.

"I am trying to work all over the team to get the right combinations.

"Rudiger is fit after the international break which gives me another choice.

"We can isolate goals and talk about centre-backs or whatever - it's not (just down to them), it's the team.

"When we score goals, sometimes it's because of the centre-back playing the ball quickly

"I am not relating to the centre-back issue. I trust the four centre-backs I have completely, we are just in a moment where obviously we need to stop conceding goals.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...