EPL: Harry Kane hits out at VAR over penalty decision in 1-0 defeat to Newcastle

EPL: Harry Kane hits out at VAR over penalty decision in 1-0 defeat to Newcastle

Tottenham Hotspur captain, Harry Kane, has said "it is hard to understand" how he was denied a penalty in their 1-0 defeat to Newcastle on Sunday.

Kane appeared to be brought to the ground by falling Newcastle defender Jamaal Lascelles in the final 10 minutes of the game.

And after referee Mike Dean waved play on, VAR upheld the decision.

"It is hard to understand how it hasn't been given.

"Just like when a keeper comes out, uses his arms and trips you up - it's a penalty.

"I kind of tripped over his (Lascelles) arm and then his body. Whether it was deliberate or not, from my point of view it is hard to take. It is there to help the referee on the pitch. That being said he didn't know, he couldn't see.

"That's where VAR is there to help him out. If he had said 'no penalty' and the VAR said it was a 50-50, you can agree.

"I don't know what the conversation was - whether he said he didn't see it or not, but from my point of view, it's hard to understand. That's the way football goes sometimes.

"Sometimes you are going to get the rub of the green with VAR, sometimes not. I felt it didn't go our way against Newcastle," Kane said according to Sky Sports.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...