EPL: Pochettino speaks on Eriksen playing his last game for Tottenham after defeat to Newcastle

EPL: Pochettino speaks on Eriksen playing his last game for Tottenham after defeat to Newcastle

Tottenham Hotspur manager, Mauricio Pochettino has said that he doesn't know if Playmaker, Christian Eriksen has played his last game for the club following his side's Premier League 1-0 home defeat to Newcastle United on Sunday.

Eriksen, who was a second-half substitute in Tottenham's defeat to Newcastle, has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid before the European transfer window closes on September 2.

Asked if Eriksen has played his last game for Tottenham, Pochettino was quoted by BBC Sport as saying after the match, "I don't' know. We are waiting to see what happens.

"It's not an easy situation. We know this can unsettle the group but we know in 10 days it will finish [when the window closes] and things will be clear."

He added: "When you lose, the players who don't play are the best. With Christian we win and we lose a lot of games. I accept that the situation is like this. If we won 3-0 today no-one talks about different names.

"I cannot find excuses about the transfer window being open to justify that performance or the result. We cannot find the way to be solid and to have consistency for different reasons.

"I am going to be happy in 10 days after we play Arsenal [on 1 September] when the transfer window closes in Europe."

Eriksen's current deal at Tottenham will expire next summer.

The 27-year-old could leave Pochettino's men on a free transfer if he does not agree a new deal.

Tottenham will now take on Arsenal in their next Premier League fixture.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...