Transfer: Ex-Barcelona board member lists reasons club shouldn't bring Neymar back

Transfer: Ex-Barcelona board member lists reasons club shouldn't bring Neymar back

Former Barcelona board member, Toni Freixa, has stated that bringing Neymar back would not be in the club's best interest.

Freixa was a board member during the presidencies of Joan Laporta, Sandro Rosell and Josep Maria Bartomeu, as well as a candidate during the 2015 presidential election.

After seeing Barca already spending big on Antoine Griezmann's transfer from La Liga rivals, Atletico Madrid, he does not think that signing another premium forward should be the immediate priority.

"There are many reasons, I could be speaking for half an hour.

"The main one is that Neymar has spent the last two years in the media because of news far away from football. His quality is incredible but he offers a lot of doubts about his future performance.

"We can speak about how he left. He still has a legal demand against Barcelona. If Barcelona is ready to make this kind of investment... after Griezmann we must think about if we need Neymar.

"I believe in projects which look for the pieces they need, not ones that are just focused on players who are good in their own right.

"I can't understand a project where you are going to add Neymar to a group with Messi, Griezmann, Suarez, Coutinho and Dembele. It doesn't look reasonable to me," Freixa told Goal.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...