Highly-rated Chelsea prospect Ethan Ampadu completes season-long loan move to RB Leipzig

Highly-rated Chelsea prospect Ethan Ampadu completes season-long loan move to RB Leipzig

Chelsea youngster Ethan Ampadu has sealed a move to RB Leipzig, joining the Bundesliga club on a season-long loan deal.

The 18-year-old is regarded as one of Chelsea's best up-and-coming talents and has already established himself as a regular in Ryan Giggs' senior Wales side.

Since joining Chelsea from Exeter City in 2017, Ampadu has made 12 first-team appearances for the club, although he didn't play a single minute of Premier League football last season.

With competition for places intense in both central defence and in midfield where Ampadu plays, Chelsea took the decision to loan him out for the campaign so he can play more regularly.

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard is a big admirer of Ampadu's talents but stated last week that it was in his best interest's to move on this season to continue his development.

'I tried to sign Ethan on loan at Derby last year so I'm a big fan, but with the minutes he played last year, in the interest of Ethan and of Chelsea, the idea he can play a lot of games somewhere could be good for him,' Lampard said.

'I really wanted to work with Ethan this year. That's a slight disappointment, but it's to benefit of him. In midfield and defence we have a lot of quality, so each player is a case by case.'

Ampadu will be looking to make an impression at Leipzig by establishing himself in new coach Julian Nagelsmann's plans with the club set to compete in the Champions League.

Since their promotion to the Bundesliga in 2016, Leipzig have made a habit of signing young players from England with Oliver Burke, Ademola Lookman and Emile Smith Rowe all playing for the club.

Lookman, who joined Leipzig on loan from Everton during the 2017-18 season, is set to re-join the club on a permanent basis after the clubs agreed a deal rising to £22.5m.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...