Gernor Rohr names 'very important' player in Super Eagles

Gernor Rohr names 'very important' player in Super Eagles

Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr has described Super Eagles left-back, Jamilu Collins, as a "very important" member of the team.

He also likened the defender to a German player due to the hardwork he puts in during training.

Collins had to wait until the quarterfinal before making his debut at the African Cup of Nations in Egypt due to injury he suffered in the final training session before the opener against Burundi.

The Paderborn 07 left-back was handed his maiden Nigeria call-up for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles in September last year.

"Very important. This is a player who is offensively and defensively very strong. His left foot is very valuable to us - in a team where there are hardly any left-footers," he told Sport1 when asked how important Collins was to the team.

"I followed all the great games with Paderborn and I was very happy for him and his colleagues for the promotion.

"Collins is a player with a German mentality: He is a tough, serious worker who also does extra sessions on days off and after practice. That is good for all of Africa.

"Collins had suffered a slight muscle injury in the final session before his first game against Burundi and had to rest for a few days.

"But then he needed to get back into the team. Although it is difficult to change a successful team. I did it anyway and he honored it with his very good playing style. I am glad that he is with us."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...