Mesut Ozil names the Arsenal youngster he expects to have a 'big season'

Mesut Ozil has tipped youngster Joe Willock to make a major first team impact at Arsenal this season.

The 19-year-old impressed during the Europa League group stages last season and made his first Premier League start on the final day of the last campaign in a 3-1 win at Burnley.

Arsenal have been linked with a number of defenders and forwards this summer, but are unlikely to sign a direct replacement for Aaron Ramsey whose energy and potency is likely to be sorely missed.

Willock, who scored three times for the first team last season, shares several characteristics with Ramsey, who was unveiled as a Juventus player earlier this week, and Ozil has backed the England Under-20 international to kick on again after catching the eye in Wednesday's 2-1 win over Bayern Munich in Los Angeles.

'He knows what he can do, so he is not arrogant on the pitch but he is, how can we say, he believes in himself,' said Ozil.

'Especially yesterday against Bayern Munich, against a big club, he shows his quality. We are happy to have him.

'He was strong last year as well so, of course, if you really work with the first team together always, you feel more comfortable and you believe in yourself more.

'I think this season he can show his quality and I think he can help us this season.

'If I remember my time, I just worked hard and gave everything. At the end of the day, those young players have quality.

'They show it every day in training. If he [Willock] stays healthy and believes in himself, I think he will be a big player.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...