EPL: Why I dumped Liverpool for Manchester City in 2015 - Raheem Sterling

EPL: Why I dumped Liverpool for Manchester City in 2015 - Raheem Sterling

Manchester City forward, Raheem Sterling has admitted that his desire to win the Premier League title was the reason behind his departure from Liverpool.

We reports that Sterling bid farewell to Anfield and moved to the Etihad in 2015 in a £49 million deal that made him the most expensive English player in history.

The decision saw him receiving heavy criticisms from the Reds' brigade, especially after he turned down a massive offer from the Merseyside outfit.

But Sterling has now revealed why he departed Anfield.

Speaking in an interview with GQ Magazine, he said, "When I got into Liverpool I said if I haven't won the Premier League by the time I'm 21 I need to look at my options and see what I'm doing there.

"I put that into place from a young age. And I came to City and won my first Premier League. It's just good to know what I've set out to do, what we've set out as a team to do, is going as planned."

It did not take long for the winger to justify his 2015 transfer as he went on to win two back-to-back Premier League titles with Manchester City.

Last season, the 24-year-old tallied 25 goals and 18 assists for the club in all competitions, helping them to complete an unprecedented domestic treble with an FA Cup and a Carabao Cup win.

The former Liverpool star's exploits under Pep Guardiola last campaign earned him the PFA Young Player of the Year and FWA Footballer of the Year awards, together with a place in the PFA Team of the Year.

However, Manchester City will return to action when they face West Ham in the Premier League Asia Trophy on July 17.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...