Manchester United transfer news: Barcelona reject Red Devils' £31m bid for Ivan Rakitic

Manchester United are in talks to sign Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic with the club submitting a £31millon offer for him.

With Paul Pogba publicly admitting he wants to leave Old Trafford this summer,United want to make sure their squad is sorted and settled before they begin the new season against Chelsea on August 11.

Manchester United transfer news: Barcelona reject Red Devils' £31m bid for Ivan Rakitic

Rakitic has been a long-term target of Man United's and it appears an offer has been made

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the United manager, has identified Rakitic as the ideal replacement for Pogba should he leave Old Trafford.

And, according to Sport, a £31million bid has been submitted which Barca rejected out of hand as they want nothing less than £45m for Rakitic.

Rakitic, the Croatia midfielder, joined Barcelona in 2014 and has won four LaLiga titles and a Champions League during his time at Camp Nou. He would be a major coup for United, who looked bereft of ideas in their midfield at times last season.

The hunt for a new midfielder comes after Pogba admitted he may need to leave United this summer.

Speaking to reporters in Tokoyo at an adidas event earlier this month, Pogba said; "Like you said, there is a lot of talking and a lot of thinking as well.

"For me I have been for three years in Manchester and have been doing great - some good moments and some bad moments, like everybody. Like everywhere else.

It appears Paul Pogba may leave Man United this summer

"After this season and everything that happened this season, with my season being my best season as well, I think for me it could be a good time to have a new challenge somewhere else.

"I am thinking of this, to have a new challenge somewhere else."

Manchester United have already signed Daniel James from Swansea and splashed out £50m on Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace as Solskjaer plots a huge summer rebuild.

Barcelona, meanwhile, are trying to sign Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmannfor £107m, while Neymar has also been linked with a return to the Nou Camp after two years with PSG.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...