Willian backs 'extraordinary' Frank Lampard for success as Chelsea manager

Willian says 'extraordinary' Frank Lampard has 'everything it takes' to be a success as Chelsea manager.

The ex-England midfielder, who spent 13 years at Stamford Bridge as a player, is set to return to his former club after Maurizio Sarri left for Juventus.

Lampard enjoyed an impressive first season in management, taking Derby County to the Championship play-off final where they were beaten by Aston Villa.

Asked about Lampard's imminent arrival at Chelsea, Willian told football.london: 'He is a legend. He was an extraordinary player for the club, winning every possible title.

'He deserves so much respect and backing for what he has already achieved at the club. If Chelsea do bring him in, he will be very welcome.

'Is he definitely going to be the next manager? I don't know. But I think he would be up to the task.

'He was a great player, and he is a great person. He's only starting his managerial career now, but he has everything it takes to be a success.'

Willian made 37 starts for Chelsea last season, helping the Blues finish third in the Premier League and win the Europa League.

On Sarri, who joined Serie A champions Juventus earlier in the month, Willian added: 'I wish him all the best. May God bless his career and his new chapter at Juventus.'

Chelsea legend John Terry, meanwhile, is convinced Lampard will be a success at Stamford Bridge.

'After the season he has had with Derby and with Chelsea's transfer ban in place, there is no-one better equipped than Frank to succeed at Chelsea,' he told the Daily Mail.

'It is perfect timing for him and the club. Frank was under pressure to succeed at Chelsea the day he arrived from West Ham and he never hid from that.

'He revelled in it and went on to become Chelsea's greatest-ever player. Lamps is a legend and now is the right time for him to come home.

'Roman is a successful businessman because he is so demanding but Frank will demand nothing less from himself.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...