EPL: Jesus gets new Jersey number in Manchester City

EPL: Jesus gets new Jersey number in Manchester City

Manchester City have confirmed that Gabriel Jesus will wear the jersey number nine in the 2019/20 football season.

The Brazilian previously wore number 33 but the reigning Premier League champions have opted to award the 22-year-old with a more recognisable squad number for a leading striker.

However, Jesus has admitted that it will be a tremendous honour for him to wear the famous number nine shirt that has been worn by the likes of Nolito, Alvaro Negredo, Emmanuel Adebayor, Valeri Bojinov and Emile Mpenza,
"It will be an honour to wear the City number nine shirt and I'll do so with great pride," he told Squawka on Saturday.

"I hope to score many goals wearing this jersey and help City to more trophies in the coming seasons.

"It's the number I wear with Brazil and as always, I'll be giving everything for City when I'm wearing it."

Manchester City haven't had a great number nine for many years, with no strikers in the 21st century staking a claim to become one of City's most iconic strikers in recent history.

The young Brazilian now has the opportunity to progress and ensure that his place among the City starting eleven becomes more regular than previous seasons, such is the burden of competing for a place with club legend Sergio Aguero.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...