Maurizio Sarri wants Christian Eriksen if he can't tempt Paul Pogba back to Juventus

Maurizio Sarri wants Christian Eriksen if he can't tempt Paul Pogba back to Juventus

Christian Eriksen has already declared that he is open to a Tottenham exit this summer and Juventus are keen to make a move for the Dane.

The 27-year-old has been at Spurs since 2013 and has just one year left on his current contract, which has seen potential suitors show their interest in his services.

Real Madrid are keen on the midfielder, but Juventus have also emerged as a potential destination for him since Maurizio Sarri took over as manager in Turin.

The Italian is a big fan of Eriksen and would be extremely interested in making him one of his first signings if he got the chance, reports the Telegraph.

Both Juventus and Real Madrid are also interested in Paul Pogba and Eriksen's fate may well depend on if either side can sign the Frenchman during this transfer window.

The Dane will not move to either club if they sign Pogba, but will become a viable option if not, with Spurs wanting around £80m for him from a foreign club (or £130m from English clubs).

Sarri made it clear how much he likes Eriksen's work while he was in charge of Chelsea, replying when he was asked about his favourite Spurs player: 'Of course Harry Kane is the best English striker in the moment, so a very important player. But if I have to say another name I like very much, Eriksen.

He is a very smart player, a very technical player. He's able to play in midfield and, at the same moment, score eight or nine goals in a season. I think that he is a very important player. I like him very much but I don't want to talk about a player of Tottenham in terms of the market. I only answered a question.'

Eriksen is not certain to move this summer, as it will take a big bid and the right club to tempt him, but Juventus and Real could tick those boxes.

'I feel that I am a place in my career where I might want to try something new,' Eriksen told Danish publication Ekstra Bladet. 'I have the wildest and deepest respect for everything that has happened in Tottenham. But I have also said that I would like to try something new.

'I hope that something will be decided this summer. That is the plan. In football, you never know when there could be a decision like that. It could be at any point. The best thing is always for it to happen quickly but in football things take time.

'Real Madrid is a step up but then it would take Real Madrid picking up the phone and making contact with Tottenham and say that they want Christian. And that they haven't done as far as I know.

'It all depends on Daniel Levy and there has to be another club too. Or I will sit down myself at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can't set a date yourself. There aren't many boxes that Tottenham don't tick so if I have to move away, it would have to be a step up.

'I hope there will be a clarification during the summer. That's the plan. It is hard. It depends on the possibilities. If nothing pops up that is more exciting, why not stay in Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract, depends on the conditions.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...