Barcelona president Bartomeu reveals what Messi will get when he retires

Barcelona president Bartomeu reveals what Messi will get when he retires

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has made it clear that Lionel Messi can play football until he is 45 and added that the Argentine will get 10 statues at Nou Camp when he retires.

Lionel Messi has been superb for Barcelona since he began his career at the club when he was young and he recently scored his 600th goal for the Catalans against Liverpool in the Champions League.

The Argentine football star made his debut for Barcelona in 2004, and his current contract with the Spanish champions will expire in 2021.

And while speaking about the five-time Ballon D'Or winner, Barcelona president Josep Maria says he believe Lionel Messi will still be playing active football for the next 14 years.

"The day that Messi retires. Well, I won't be president because he'll outlast me, he has so much football still to give.

"I still think it's a long way off. Look at the power in that free-kick (he scored against Liverpool). He's a long way out and that ball really flies. He's stronger than ever.

"I hope Leo plays on until he's 45!

"I don't know what he wants to do but it would be fantastic to have him in the team when we inaugurate the new stadium,'' Josep Maria told Daily Mail.

Already, Lionel Messi and his Barcelona teammates have won the Spanish La Liga title and they are on the verge of reaching the 2018/19 Champions League final.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...