Dimitar Berbatov hands Man United name of player to sign this summer

Dimitar Berbatov hands Man United name of player to sign this summer

Former Manchester United striker, Dimitar Berbatov, has advised the club's manager to sign Ajax defender, Matthijs de Ligt, this summer transfer window.

Berbatov, who scored 56 goals in 149 appearances for Man United during his time at Old Trafford, said this ahead of the club's Premier League clash with Chelsea on Sunday.

The ex-Bulgaria international believes De Ligt is the right player to solve Man United's struggles at the defense.

"Ole needs a centre-back who can control the ball, pass into midfield and not be intimidated - just like [Virgil] Van Dijk," Berbatov told The Sun.

"If I am a striker with Van Dijk in my team, I know it will be OK. They need someone like that.

"For a player so young, De Ligt's performances are incredible.

Berbatov added: "He's mature, comfortable on the ball, and he is not bothered who he plays against - Ronaldo or whoever. He doesn't care, he just plays his own game.

"He moves with grace and doesn't panic on the ball. He has everything you want from a defender.

"That guy will be an unbelievable player. He's a great talent and I hope United go for him in the summer and get him."

De Ligt is currently considered one of the best young defenders in the world.

The 19-year-old scored the decisive goal for Ajax against Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final second leg encounter few weeks ago.

The centre-back will hope to lead Ajax to victory when they tackle Tottenham in the Champions League semi-final fixture next week.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...