Lionel Messi reveals surprise response after his son asked why Argentines crucify him all the time

Lionel Messi reveals surprise response after his son asked why Argentines crucify him all the time

Before the friendly game against their fellow South American, the 31-year-old last featured for his country in their 4-3 defeat to World Cup winners France in Russia last year.

The five time Ballon d'Or winner, while speaking to Buenos Aires based sports outlet FM Club 947 offered his thoughts on the 'Albiceleste'.

Messi also revealed his desire to win silverware with Argentina, as his career continues to wind down.

He will clock 32 this summer and will hope he can lead his side to lift the next edition of Copa America title - having led his side to the final of the last two.

"I dearly want to win something with the national side, I wanted to come back and want to participate in all the big games .

He further revealed that: " When I made the decision to return, there were many who criticised the decision. My 6-year-old son asked me: 'Dad, why do they crucify you Argentina ".

"I tell him that it's just a handful of people. I've shown my desire to play for Argentina and don't need to prove this to anyone," Messi said.

Messi also added that: "I left the World Cup squad and then didn't speak with anyone at the federation. Later, Scaloni called me and told me to take some time off and that he'd be keen for me to come back as he was
 preparing a solid project."

The Barcelona star admits he would start Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero if he had the opportunity.

"Kun has told me on many occasions: I'm Leo's friend and am a substitute. If it was up to me Kun would always be a starter .

"I turn up to games and always endeavour to do my best irrespective of the comments that are made behind my back .

"At times it can be difficult to enjoy all that goes on with the national team set-up. I just try and focus on playing well. "

When asked about young players coming through into the team, he said. " A transitional phase is totally normal and it's something that should have happened years ago. The young guys have come through and need to be given time, we can't crucify these guys. "

"They are a good bunch of guys and are great players. Apart from the Venezuela game they've played well and I've watched them develop with their club sides and I like the way things are developing."

"I've been told many things about Menotti and I'd love to meet him someday, it would be great to sit down with him for a chat. "

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...