Rooney names 1 ex-Man United manager he believes was better than Ferguson

Rooney names 1 ex-Man United manager he believes was better than Ferguson

Wayne Rooney believes ex-Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal is more tactically skilled than Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Sun report claim that 77-year-old club legend Fergie, guided Man United for 1,500 games, winning 38 trophies before bowing out in 2013 as champions.

On the other hand, Van Gaal was one of three managers, who attempted to continue from where Ferguson left from 2014-2016, but failed to deliver the goods.

But DC United forward Rooney says the Dutchman tactics were not responsible for his shortfalls at Man United.

"It didn't work for David Moyes and they (Manchester United) then went for the experience of Louis van Gaal.

"He was tactically the best I have worked with - in terms of setting you up in a shape defensively and everyone knowing their roles.

"It was just about getting the attacking side right as well as the defensive side.

"He won a few trophies but it didn't pan out the way everyone would have hoped," Rooney was quoted as saying by talkSPORT.

The former England star also took out time to speak on David Moyes after replacing Ferguson at Old Trafford.

"I think Moyes was a bit of a surprise choice but his record at Everton over ten years was great.

"He got them into the Champions League, finished top half almost every year and did a fantastic job.

"I think what Manchester United were trying to to do at the time was bring someone in who had longevity in them as a manager ," Rooney added.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...