Kamaru Usman: Africa's 1st UFC champion reveals what he went through in Nigeria

Kamaru Usman who is the new Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) champion has recounted how he used to walk miles with his grandmother to fetch water in Nigeria when he was young.

Usman on Sunday, March 3, registered his name in the history books of the UFC by becoming the first Nigerian/African to win the title.

The 31-year-old mixed martial artist achieved this remarkable success in Las Vegas when he defeated holder Tyron Woodley.

Since joining the UFC, Usman has slowly worked his way up the ranks from rookie to title challenger in the space of just a few years.

Usman was born in Auchi, Edo state and traveled to the United States when he was a 7-year-old boy with his parents.

He actually started his career as a wrestler while before becoming an (MMA) mixed martial arts star in America.

"I remember the streets, I remember having to walk what seemed like miles and miles and miles to fetch water from the wells with my grandmother.

"I lived with my grandmother for a year when I was very young, and even to this day when I tell my mother events that took place, she can't believe that I can recall that far.

"I recall a lot of it. I recall the hard work that my family went through just to continue to live the lifestyle that we were living, which wasn't by any means a great lifestyle.

"It was just an amazing lifestyle to instill certain values in a child,'' Usman explained according to CNN.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...