Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri reveals who was responsible for Tottenham crucial win

Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri reveals who was responsible for Tottenham crucial win

Maurizio Sarri has admitted that his Chelsea stars pleaded with him to ditch his famour 'Sarri-ball' tactics for their crunch clash against Tottenham Hotspur.

The Blues claimed their first Premier League victory since their 5-0 win over Hudderfield on February 2.

Pedro scored the opener for the hosts early in the second half, before an own goal from Kieran Trippier sealed the win for the west London club.

However, the Italian born tactician came under heavy criticism at Stamford Bridge following his 6-0 defeat to defending champions Manchester City last month.

With the club's hierarchy questioning the manager's tactics which has seen them lag behind on the EPL table - as they currently rank sixth on the log.

The manager also took a bold decision by benching keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga after his refusal to be subbed in their EFL Cup defeat to Man City at Wembley.

While reacting to the victory, Sarri simply said he followed the advice of his players to secure the three points: "At the beginning of the match, we pressed really very high.

"Then it was really very difficult for us because we played 120 minutes three days ago, so the players asked me to press a little bit lower .

"Of course I agreed because they defended really very well. But we defended very well in the final as well against City .

"In the match against Malmo, in the last three matches we've defended very well with a level of application and attention higher than before. " But I think that the level of aggression we have was good ."

Sarri will lead his Blues armies to Craven Cottage this weekend when they battle struggling Fulham in a bid to maintain their winning status in the league.

Legit.ng earlier reported that Chelsea beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 to return to winning ways in the Premier League.

Pedro Rodriguez opened scoring for the Blues who recently lost the EFL CUp title to Manchester City.

Meanwhile, an own goal from Kieran Trippier sealed the win for the hosts but their position remained unchanged on the table.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...