Meet world's oldest football star who has been playing before the birth of Messi and Ronaldo

Meet world's oldest football star who has been playing before the birth of Messi and Ronaldo

A huge number of footballers play into their late 30s and even early 40s before professionally ending their careers.

However, for Kazuyoshi Miura who just turned 52, he is getting even stronger in the game.

King Kazu, as he is fondly known in Japan and across Asia is now in his 34th season as a professional footballer.

Kazu started his career in 1986, scoring 55 goals in 89 appearances for Japan.

He went on to feature for top clubs across Europe, Asia and South America including Santos, Genoa and Dinamo Zagreb.

At club level, one of his longest stint came with Vissel Kobe, between 2001 and 2005 where he made 103 appearances, scoring 24 goals in the process.

The legendary forward currently plies his trade with Yokohama FC, with who he signed a contract extension in January.

Incidentally, he is the only player to have appeared in the 1996 FIFA World Cup who is still playing professionally.

Speaking on his continued active presence in the game, Kazu noted he is not getting any younger, admitting his physicality and fitness are now of question with his age.

"I know that I'm not young anymore & I am finding the game a lot tougher physically," he was quoted saying.

"But I still get a lot of pleasure when my team wins or I play well. As long as I'm enjoying my football, I'll keep going," [/i] he added.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...