Maurizio Sarri reveals how Cesar Azpilicueta helped solve bust-up with Kepa in Chelsea dressing room

Maurizio Sarri reveals how Cesar Azpilicueta helped solve bust-up with Kepa in Chelsea dressing room

Maurizio Sarri has revealed that Cesar Azpilicueta has played a role in diffusing the dressing room tension following the bust-up with Kepa in the Carabao Cup final.

Kepa has been fined a week's wages after he refused to leave the pitch as a substitute before the penalty shootout against Manchester City.

Azpilicueta received criticism after the incident as he made no attempt to join David Luiz in forcing the Spanish goalkeeper to leave the field.

But when asked if he felt Azpilicueta should have done more following Kepa's refusal to obey instructions, Sarri replied: 'The captain spoke to me immediately after the match, then he spoke with Kepa.

'Yesterday we spoke altogether, the situation is really very clear in the dressing room.'

Asked if he was disappointed that other players did not manage the situation better, Sarri replied: 'It was really a very unusual situation.

'So I think the players were really very shocked.

'It was impossible to react immediately I think, like us on the bench.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...