Nigerian-born American based sprinter records fastest time in 200m in 2019

Nigerian-born American based sprinter records fastest time in 200m in 2019

Divine Oborodudu ran the fastest time in the world in 2019 in the Men's 200m while competing for his school in the United States, Texas Tech.

The 22-year-old achieved the feat at the Big 12 indoor championships which schools within the United States present.

According to the U.S. Track & Field and Cross-Country Coaches Association, the five-time African junior champion ran a time of 20.08 seconds to break the 20.10 mark and became the second collegian to ever do so.

"The celebration is a special one, I would say, in Nigeria," he said.

"It's a way of dancing and appreciating God, like, 'God, thank you for all you've done for me. I'm going to show the world that I'm always grateful to you.' So that is my dance."

Oborodudu had earlier won the 60m race with a personal best pf 6.52seconds which is also a new new school record for Texas Tech.

Before his heroics in the 200m, he had also emerged tops in the 60m race; winning with a new Personal Best (PB) of 6.52s, the time posted by Oduduru is a new School Record for Texas Tech.

"I was never thinking I was going that fast in the 200," Oduduru said,

"But when I saw the time, I was like, 'Woo, that's a big one. I have to be grateful to God for that."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...