4 things you probably did not know about late Emiliano Sala

4 things you probably did not know about late Emiliano Sala

Emiliano Sala's death has been a huge loss to football, teammates, pundits and fans who follow the beautiful round leather game .

The Argentina striker who had completed a record £15million move to Premier League side Cardiff City in January was involved in a plane crash.

His body has been recovered by a team of rescuers in the English channel and he has since been identified.

Here are four things you probably did not know about Sala

1. Place of birth

He was born on October 31, 1990, in the small rural community of Cululu in the Santa Fe province, about 340 miles north west of the Argentine capital, Buenos Aires.

2. Playing career

He played for Argentine side Club Proyecto Crecer at youth level before moving to France to sign for Ligue 1 side, Bordeaux.

3. Loan spells

After making his debut in 2011, Sala had a couple of loan spells with Major League Soccer side, US Orleans and Niort respectively between 2012 and 2013, scoring 37 goals in 74 matches combined.

He moved back to France to play for Caen in 2015 before joining Nantes for one million euros and made his mark with 42 goals in his three-and-half years with the club.

4. Premier League dream

His 12 goals in Ligue 1 this season caught the eye of top Premier League sides including West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Fulham and Southampton, before deciding to join Cardiff City in the January window of 2019 for a club record £15million.

When his signing was announced, Sala said: "It gives me great pleasure and I can't wait to start training, meet my new team-mates and get down to work."

In a later tweet, he wrote: "I know the challenge is big, but together we will make it."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...