Jubilation at Old Trafford as Man United star pens new long term deal and it is not De Gea

Jubilation at Old Trafford as Man United star pens new long term deal and it is not De Gea

Manchester United defender Phil Jones has signed a new four-and-a-half year contract extension to remain at the club until the summer of 2023.

The 26-year-old moved to Old Trafford from Blackburn Rovers in 2011 and was part of the Red Devils side that won the Europa League and EFL Cup titles under Jose Mourinho in 2017.

Before signing the new deal, his current contract was due to expire at the end of the ongoing season.

However, Metro reports that the club could have triggered his 12-month extension in his deal if he stalled.

The publication earlier this week revealed that United were not interested in allowing the defender leave, hence the they offered him a new long-term deal.

And the defender admits he's delighted to have extended his seven-and-a-half year stay at the Theatre of Dreams.

"I am delighted to have signed a new contract.
Manchester United has been a big part of my life for eight years and I love everything about this club ,"
Jones told Man United website.

"I am excited about the challenges that lie ahead of us as we prepare for a very busy period in the season. I would like to thank Ole and the coaching staff for their continued support in my development ."

With Jones committing his future to the club until 2023 with an option to extend it for a further year, and Anthony Martial doing same earlier this year, United are also hopeful David De Gea will sign a new deal at Old Trafford.

Solskjaer says he's pleased that Jones is staying and says the defender is now a senior member of the squad.

"Phil knows what it takes to be a Manchester United player, he has won the Premier League, FA Cup and Europa League and is now one of the senior players within the team ," said Solskjaer.

"He is coming up to his 27th birthday and entering into his prime years as a center half. We are delighted Phil has committed his future to the club. "

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...