Sala's family make huge demand from authorities after plane carrying footballer was found

Sala's family make huge demand from authorities after plane carrying footballer was found

Emiliano Sala's family have demanded for the bodies of the footballer and his pilot to be recovered from the bottom of the English channel.

The mission however could be delayed due to bad weather and rescuers have revealed one body had been seen 220ft down - showing its blue and white livery and identification number.

It has not been confirmed whether the body inside was that of the Argentine striker or the 59-year-old pilot David Ibbotson.

Shipwreck hunter David Mearns, who led the £300,000 GoFundMe search, said: "I've been in touch with Emiliano's family and they desperately want the aircraft recovered.

"They want the wreckage brought up as quickly as possible - in fact they are demanding it. They are very keen but bad weather may delay that operation.

"The family have obtained comfort from the plane being found but it has confirmed their worst fears.''

Speaking from Argentina, Sala's dad Horacio said:

"The hope is over. There are no more words to say. I hope both bodies are on there.

"The news has brought some relief but we still don't know what exactly happened."

He added: "It would be a miracle. I have to say that we have given up hope of them being found alive."

The search was initially called off by Guernsey Police but funds were raised days later to support a private team to continue looking for the plane.

The Argentine striker just signed for Premier League club Cardiff in a club-record deal worth £15 million before returning to his French side Nantes to say goodbye to his former teammates and staff.

Sala was on his way back to South Wales when the aircraft went missing over the channel.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch then sent down underwater cameras from the GEO Ocean III ship.

A spokesman said: "Tragically in video footage, one occupant is visible amid the wreckage. "The AAIB is now considering the next steps, in consultation with the families and the police."

An investigation has now began to know if the pilot David, of Crowle, Lincs, had commercial flying qualifications.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...