Man City vs Arsenal: Emery speaks on Ozil's future following Suarez's arrival

Man City vs Arsenal: Emery speaks on Ozil's future following Suarez's arrival

Arsenal manager, Unai Emery, has said the arrival of Denis Suarez, will have little impact on Mesut Ozil's chances of regaining a permanent place in his starting line-up.

Suarez is in line to make his debut against his former club Manchester City on Sunday, after completing his loan move from Barcelona earlier this week.

Ozil, meanwhile, has struggled to win over his new manager and made his first Premier League start since Boxing Day, in the 2-0 win over Cardiff in midweek.

He is expected to return to the bench tomorrow against the champions, but Emery insists any potential demotion will have little to do with the arrival of Suarez.

"It's no change for him. [Suarez] is coming here because we have a lot of problems on the wing, we haven't got players to play right or left - that is the reason," Emery told Sky Sports.

Pressed as to whether Ozil would retain the captain's armband should he start, Emery added: "I think it is very clear, you mention it every week. We have four captains, I don't know if you have come to my press conferences but I am going to repeat it but I think the others know it all.

"The first captain is Laurent Koscielny , he had injuries and couldn't play. The second is Petr Cech, third is Aaron Ramsey, after this Mesut Ozil.

"When he is playing [with] Cech, Cech is captain; when he is playing Laurent, Laurent is captain; when he is playing with Aaron, Aaron is captain and when he is playing, and another is not captain, then he is captain.

"In our last match, Petr Cech, Laurent Koscielny and Aaron Ramsey didn't play, so Mesut Ozil is captain. After that, they are Granit Xhaka and Nacho Monreal."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...