Solskjaer reveals he is not dreaming of top 4 finish as he sets new target for Man United

Solskjaer reveals he is not dreaming of top 4 finish as he sets new target for Man United

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has insisted that finishing among the top four teams on the log can never be a target for a club like Manchester United.

The 45-year-old took over from Jose Mourinho in December and has turned the fortunes of the club around - having won all eight matches he has taken charge of.

Before his arrival, the Red Devils were 11 points behind the fourth place team, while 19 points separated them from table toppers Liverpool.

Fast forward about one month after, United have closed the gap on the current fourth placed team as they have just three points between them and Chelsea.

While speaking ahead of his side clash against Burnley at Old Trafford later this evening, Solskjaer said: " That's not the dream, though, to be top four. We're Man United - you should always aim to win the league .

"We can't do that this year but we've just got to look forward to that again because we have to get back to that ."
Solskjær is targeting a trophy this season. " We've got the Champions League, we've got the FA Cup, we can't just say top four and that's it, " he said.

This came on the back of Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino saying winning silverware is merely "building egos" after his side's ouster from the FA Cup last weekend.

"We've got to look at: 'Can we win something this year?' "I am not here to discuss what Pochettino says and what other managers say .

"First of all, it's the next game [that is vital] but we are about winning trophies, of course we are - and we can't win the league this year .

"I think every manager wants to win every game, so I don't think that is the point he [Pochettino] was making [that trophies are not desirable] .

"If you win trophies, that's a fantastic day for everyone in the club; it's just the best time of your life, that day when you win, because you never know when the next one is going to come. I am just saying that here at this club we are looking to win trophies."

A win for United over Burnley will stretch their winning streak in all competitions since the arrival of the Norwegian last month

"There is still a long way to go, so we just need to focus on the next game," he said of European Cup qualification.

"I know it's boring to hear this but it's about improving, it's about getting better. It's great that we've picked up eight points [on fourth place]. "

Solskjaer added that: " What Manchester United are going to look like next season with or without me, it doesn't matter, I'm here to prepare for next season." Part of this will be to play homegrown players - Mason Greenwood, Jimmy Garner and Ethan Hamilton.

"We have quite a few talents in that youth team that you'd like to see [in the side] and [you] will see at some point before next season to put the club and team in a good position [for] how will we look like next season: Mason, Jimmy, Ethan - it's just about the right time .

"But we've got Alexis [Sánchez], Juan Mata and Romelu Lukaku who haven't played so much lately, they're three players you have to jump ahead of ."

The manager continued: "At the moment I can see everyone staying at the club. No deals have been done with anyone .

"There are still a few more days but I'm not too involved in the negotiations, so whatever happens happens. It'll be good to get the window closed and improving the players in the squad still here. "

Asked about the potential for midfielder Andreas Pereira to move this month, Solskjaer replied:  "No .

"I can't see him going out on loan because Andreas has done fantastic in training ever since I come back. He's a player I can see playing quite a few games for us towards the end of the season. "

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...