Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka wins her 2nd grand slam title at the Australian Open

Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka wins her 2nd grand slam title at the Australian Open

Noami Osaka has managed to establish herself as a dominant force becoming world number one after defeating Petra Kvitova to win her first Australian Open.

The Japanese now has two successive grand slam titles having won the US Open earlier, following the dramatic victory against Kvitova.

According to Metro (UK), Osaka is the first Asian player - man or woman - to become world number one and is also the youngest player to top the ranking since Caroline Wozniacki in 2010.

The 21-year-old also becomes the first player since Jennifer Capriati to win the next Grand Slam after her maiden major.

While her victory against former world number 1 Serena Williams in New York, was riddled with controversy, this time round the drama was shrouded in the scoreboard.

Osaka edged the Czech 7-6 (7-2) 5-7 6-4 after two hours and 28 minutes on the Rod Laver Arena.

Speaking after her emphatic win that crowned her the undisputed queen of tennis, the humble Australian champion said she had always wanted to play Kvitova and congratulated the Czech.

Public Speaking isn't really my strong side so I just hope I can get through this," she said.

"Huge congrats to you Petra, I have Always wanted to play you. I wouldn't have wanted this to be our first match but I am hugely honoured to have played you. Thank you everyone and I am really honoured to have played in this final," Osaka said.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...