Solksjaer reveals if Pogba is a leader months after he was stripped off captain armband

Solksjaer reveals if Pogba is a leader months after he was stripped off captain armband

Manchester United interim boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has countered Jose Mourinho's claims that Paul Pogba is not fit to captain the club.

The Frenchman was stripped off the vice captaincy role earlier this season by the Portuguese tactician after their relationship further deteriorated.

Video of Pogba filtered the social media before their meeting against Croatia in the final of the 2018 which led to their triumph at the tourney.

And the former striker made reference to the short clip which went viral to speak about the leadership qualities of the star according to Daily Mail.

The former Juventus star was seen charging his countrymen to go all out and achieve greatness for their country, and they ended up winning their second World Cup last summer.

Solskjaer said about Pogba that: " He's a character, he influences people and you've seen the videos from France, and he cares and he really wants to be successful.

"He knows he can't do it by himself. It's a team game and he's a character that brings so many good things with him when he's enjoying himself, I have to say .

"You see the personality. He'd love playing football, he's a larger-than-life character, that's just the way he is.

"When the performances come as well, that marries together as a good leader and you see what it meant to him winning the World Cup in what France broadcast. So, for me, yes, he's captain material. "

Solskjaer named some past captains during his playing days, varying from Eric Cantona leading by example to the intensity of Roy Keane, and vocal nature of Gary Neville to the respect shown towards Ryan Giggs.

"We've had some iconic captains here with Steve Bruce and Bryan Robson, so personalities... big personalities ,' the United boss said.

"I think that's important, that you're not afraid of standing in front of your team-mates and putting them in their place if you have to.

"And I have to be fair to Ash [Ashley Young], who's now our skipper, he's maybe one of the last old-school ones, he sounds like Rio (Ferdinand) and Gary and all them."

Solskjaer added that: "Ashley's wearing the armband, yes, because Antonio's struggled with fitness as well, in and out ,' Solskjaer explained.

"But Antonio's still the club captain, but Ash is wearing the armband when he's playing .

"I've never been a fan of 'you're this and you're that'. Once in a while it's to give, say David (De Gea) was captain one of these games when Ash didn't play. So, there's 11 captains out there really, it doesn't really bother me.

"I was captain for Norway, and quite a few times for United but I still don't tell my kids I was captain of Man United or Norway, but once in a while you are. "

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...