Chelsea make contact with Barcelona over stunning £100m Philippe Coutinho transfer

Chelsea make contact with Barcelona over stunning £100m Philippe Coutinho transfer

Chelsea have contacted Barcelona to enquire about the possibility of signing Philippe Coutinho in a stunning move, according to reports.

Brazil international Coutinho completed a dream switch to Barcelona last January after the Spanish heavyweights paid Liverpool over £140million for his services.

The 26-year-old finished the 2017-18 campaign with a La Liga and Copa del Rey title but he has endured a difficult last few months at the Nou Camp.

Coutinho has dropped to the bench often this season, with Ousmane Dembele rivalling him for a place in Barcelona's starting line-up.

His troubles at Barca have led to speculation that he could leave in the summer, with Manchester United said to have enquired about a move.

But the Daily Express say Chelsea are also monitoring Coutinho's situation and have asked Barca to keep them up to date in any developments.

It is claimed Chelsea have been quoted a £100m valuation but have not been put off. Barcelona could be willing to sell to fund a move for former star Neymar.

For his part, Coutinho is said to be determined to turn things around at Barcelona and is enjoying his lifestyle in Spain.

The forward developed into a fans' favourite at Anfield but Jurgen Klopp has ruled out Liverpool making a move for the Brazilian.

'That is something I don't want to talk about. I would not say it is a potential transfer or a likely one,' the Reds boss said.

'Nothing to say. Whatever I say would open more stories and there is no story. Phil is at Barcelona and as I know he fits really well and everything is fine.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...